I was first formally introduced to Jojoba back in 2004 when I was completing my Certification in Aromatherapy. At first sight, I believed it was an oil, like Sweet Almond oil or olive oil. We learned quickly that it was not. We used it as our base (or carrier) to create essential oil products and these products could be massaged both into the body AND face, without causing zits!
After reading about it over and over, I decided to include it in my best-selling product, which is called Face and Body Butter and in all of my roll-on blends for clients. It’s immediately softening to the skin, there’s no smell, and I really like its color when it’s held up to the light.
Jojoba is actually a liquid wax obtained from cold pressing a seed (Simmondsia chinensis) NOT a nut. Jojoba doesn’t contain triglycerides, which are fragile, oxidize and break down, so it doesn’t turn rancid. It has an indefinite shelf life. Isn’t that cool?!
Here are some other cool things about this amazing non-oily, liquid wax substance.
- SPF of 2 – 4
- Conditions the skin
- Relieves cradle cap
- Soothes chafed / dry skin
- Does not not clog pores
- Conditions and softens cuticles
- Removes make-up and mascara
- Provides soothing relief of Psoriasis
- Transports essential oils into the skin
- Superior for scalp, face or whole body
- Conditions hair and scalp, prevents dryness
- Soothes and conditions skin after sun exposure
- May be blended with wheat germ oil for face care
- Improves skin’s absorption of facial mask nutrients
- Strengthens the hair shaft and restores manageability
- Gentle enough for newborns after bath, diaper changes
- Penetrates into the skin and is an appropriate carrier for diluting for Essential Oils
- Does not stain and washes out with hot water and natural soap
HOW DO I USE IT?
Clients often ask what to use in place of commercial, synthetic moisturizers or products recommended by Dermatologists. I recommend jojoba – straight up on the face, body, in hair – or with Essential Oils.
If you’re blending jojoba with Essential Oils, please follow these guidelines:
- 5 total drops of Essential Oils in 1 ounce of jojoba for children, pregnancy, elderly, face care
- 10 total drops of Essential Oils in 1 ounce of jojoba for adults, daily use, massage
- 15 total drops of Essential Oils in 1 ounce of jojoba for acute injury or illness
WHERE CAN I GET SOME?
Most health food stores and Wegmans carry jojoba. You may find, like me, that it’s quite pricey to purchase it this way. I purchase it in gallons – the Certified Organic version – directly from The Jojoba Company.
I suggest buying jojoba in large quantities and breaking it down into small glass containers for everyone in the home to enjoy.
photo source: http://www.jojobacompany.com/